Monday, July 8, 2019

Year 2, Week 49: I Now Have a Chinese Name

This week was a little crazy!

We finished out Monday night with visiting some people and talking to others on the street. Nothing too exciting there! Lol! 

I was able to go on an exchange with our District Leader, Elder Kohler. He is a Chinese missionary and we went to their area. We had 3 lessons that day in Mandarin. I've been on a Portuguese exchange before and I've been able to understand what is happening in the lesson. During that Portuguese exchange I've been able to add my thoughts in Spanish and they also understand what I'm saying. Haha let me say that Mandarin is completely different. I didn't understand one word! Not a one! But, I was able to learn how to introduce myself in Mandarin and I now have a Chinese name ๐Ÿ˜‚I don't know how to write it out but... I can say it! The other day, we were asked by the Chinese Elders to run over to the church and open the door for a person they were teaching and wait with him until they arrived. We were just eating lunch so we ran over and opened the door. When I shook the man's hand I said, "hello, I am Elder Bushman" in Mandarin and the guy starts going off and talking! I just waited for like 10 seconds before cutting him off and saying, in English, that I do NOT speak any Mandarin. During that exchange, we contacted several Mandarin speakers, had lessons, called some of their members, and stopped by some people they were teaching. I literally did nothing that whole day! I just walked around following Elder Kohler and asking questions about how Mandarin works VS Spanish! Haha! I was worthless that day!

We had our Zone Conference this week as well. My last one๐Ÿ˜ญ๐Ÿ˜ญ We talked about how Moro I worked to create a country where they could all have freedom and how we need to work to build the church so everyone can have spiritual freedom. It was a great Conference and we learned that President Nelson will be visiting our mission in October. So I'll miss that by 3ish months.

We still haven't had a lesson with R. and O. We are in contact with them and have something set up for Tuesday. We have members all lined up to come as well which is exciting. They weren't able to come to church this week because their baby is still sick. We are praying he feels better so they can keep coming to church.

R. and V. had to cancel as well. We have our next appointment set up with them for this Wednesday. We will also be having a member with us so we are praying that he will be able to help him see the need to come to church and out God first. 

We stopped teaching A. because he didn't express any interest. Hopefully in the future they will be able to progress. 

We stopped by a less active man's house and met him. We had a lesson this past week and invited him to church. We honestly forgot we had invited him but right after the opening prayer he walked into Sacrament Meeting! That was really cool. His name is Jaime and he hasn't been to church for 5 years. All that was needed was for some missionaries to stop by and invite him to come. We are praying he continues to come. 

I don't know if you remember A. S.? We were teaching her but she wouldn't come to church so we stopped teaching her. We got a call from the English missionaries one day and they told us they had someone they were talking to on the phone as well. Turns out, it was her. So we talked with her over the phone for about 12 minutes and invited her to come to church. She didn't so we will see how long we will continue to try with her.

This week has been really good! Several appointments canceled which is a bummer but we are looking forward to this next week. 

I love you! 

Elder Bushman 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment